16x25x1 Furnace Filter - Buying Guide
You would know that you should change your A/C filter and furnace filter every couple of months. Generally, it is recommended that you replace a 16x25x1 furnace filter at least every 45-60 days. However, in certain cases, the replacement may need to be sooner. For instance:
- You should change your filter every 6 weeks if one of your family members suffer from asthma or severe allergies. This ensures that indoor air quality is clean and safe.
- change your furnace filter every 2 months if you have pets. This helps to avoid the buildup of hair and dander.
- change your filter every 2 to 3 months if you have children. This helps to keep children safe, healthy, and fit.
If you are like many others who have little to no idea about what to look for when purchasing a furnace filter, this blog will be helpful to you.
First and foremost, you need to know that a furnace filter and air filter are the same thing. Your heating and cooling systems don’t use separate air filters. The two terms are used interchangeably.
The size of the filter
Furnace filters sizes are available online. Before you go ahead and make your purchase, you need to know the size of the air filter you need. Otherwise, it won’t fit and you will be spending time and money trying to return your filter purchase.
Furnace filters are sized by height, length, and depth (thickness). The thickness can range from an inch to up to five inches. The most common furnace filters are 1”, 4” and 5” in thickness. Height and length combinations range from 10x10 and all the way up to 30x30. You can easily check the size of your old filter in place - the size is typically shown on the cardboard filter frame. The common sizes used across Canada and the US for one inch filters are 14x25x1, 16x20x1, 16x25x1 and 20x25x1.
The MERV rating
Apart from the size of the air filter, a vital thing that you need to consider is MERV Rating. MERV refers to Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. This rating is calculated to understand how efficient the filter is at catching dust particles and preventing them from recirculating into your house. A low MERV of 1 is very poor whereas MERV 16 is the best. A MERV 16 rating indicates that the furnace filter is capable of catching more dirt, allergens, dust particles, etc. as compared to a lower MERV rated furnace filter.
Now, this does not mean that you go ahead and purchase a furnace filter with a MERV 16 rating. Your HVAC system is most likely not able to accomodate the air filter. If it is not, you would just end up wasting money and possibly compromising your furnace. A higher rated MERV filter catches finer dust particles, but also requires higher airflow. Therefore, please check that your HVAC system is equipped to handle a higher MERV rated filter.
- The furnace filter 16x25x1 MERV 6 filters at the basic level eliminating most air particulates.
- It catches and blocks 85% of air particles from your premises, including mold, dust mites, and pollen.
- It is suitable for use in basic homes.
- This filter is an upgrade to a MERV 8 and will capture bacteria spores from the air with minimal airflow restriction.
- The filter blocks and captures 95% of air particles such as lint, debris, pollen, dust, pet dander, smoke, smog, and mold spores.
- The filter is suitable for homes and businesses.
If your filter size is 16x25x1 and that’s the one you are heading out to buy, here are some of the benefits that you should be looking for:
These filters last for up to 90 days, which is 3 times more than the life of fiberglass filters. If there are pets, children, or allergy sufferers in your home, you need to change your filters frequently to maintain indoor air quality. Frequent replacement of air filters also contributes to lower energy costs.
When compared to fiberglass filters, pleated furnace filter 16x25x1 is at least 20 times more efficient.
You can quickly take a look at the wide range of furnace filters online and replace your existing one. All specifications, details, and other related information about the furnace filter can be found on the product page making it easier for you to make an informed choice.